Requesting Records from the Government for Immigration Purposes

Abogados Assisting With Government Record Requests in Memphis


Tennessee Immigration Records Lawyer

The process of immigrating to the United States can be complex and lengthy, requiring interaction with multiple agencies and organizations. As foreign national citizens navigate the process of obtaining family-based or employment-based visas, entering the U.S., obtaining employment, applying for lawful permanent resident status, and/or becoming a citizen, they may need to obtain certain records from one or more of these agencies. At Douglass & Runger, Licenciados en Leyes, we can help you complete the process of requesting these records, ensuring that your rights are protected throughout every step of the immigration process.

Filing a FOIA Request

In the United States, the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) allows anyone to request information from the federal government. While there are some exemptions, such as for reasons of national security or personal privacy, the government is generally required to provide people with the information requested.

FOIA is especially helpful for anyone who wants to view their Alien File (commonly called an A-File), which consists of the documents regarding a non-citizen that are maintained by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). This file includes a person’s immigration status, identifying documents such as birth certificates, documents or forms submitted by the person, the results of any investigations, and other information recorded by government agencies.

A person can obtain a copy of their A-File by submitting Form G-639 (Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act Request) to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In addition, they may wish to submit this form to certain agencies to obtain other information, including:

  • Requests for deportation, detention, and removal records or copies of immigration petitions should be submitted to USCIS.
  • Requests for records related to apprehension, investigation, or detention by Border Patrol, information about entry to and exit from the U.S. (including copies of I-94 forms), or information about voluntary return should be submitted to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
  • Requests for people’s medical records while they are being held in detention, visa information through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), or Bond Obligor Requests should be submitted to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
  • Requests for copies of visa requests from non-citizens should be submitted to the U.S. Department of State (DOS).

Contact a Shelby County Immigration Lawyer

During the immigration process, being able to receive information in a timely fashion is often crucial. While anyone can file a FOIA request, failing to fill out forms correctly can delay the process or cause a request to be denied, resulting in a great deal of hardship as people work to resolve their immigration status. At Douglass & Runger, Licenciados en Leyes, we can make sure your requests are filed correctly, helping you obtain the information you need and protecting your rights throughout the immigration process. Contact a Memphis immigration attorney today by calling 901- 388-5805.